Thursday, November 03, 2005

Martial Arts




So, the boys are taking karate. Or Martial Arts. Whatever. They are really enjoying it. Matthew earned his first stripe last night, and he was pretty proud. I'm pretty proud of him. He has picked up the moves very fast, and he executes them really well. Jacob is doing well too. He is not quite as coordinated as Matthew, but he is learning fast.

I hope this is something they will continue to do for a while. I think it will help them to learn disipline and respect. They are really big on being responible for your belongings and keeping your uniform neat and tidy. The boys can't blame me if they lose something. They have to take responsiblity for their own things. I think this is a great concept for them to be learning.

What I want to know is when did my boys get big enough, old enough, to be out there going to karate. When did they learn to read for that matter. I can clearly remember rocking them. And changing their diapers. And holding their hands as they walked beside me. And now they are these two independant people. People who make choices for themselves. People who still need Mom, but don't really need Mommy. And it's heartbreaking. When they were babies, I remember people would tell me that they would grow so fast. And man, I couldn't wait for them to walk, to talk, to potty train. And now, I look back, and I can't believe that I wished all that stuff away. Don't get me wrong, I want them to be independant and responsible. And I think they are well on their way. But I can't help but miss the little people they were.

No comments: