Sunday, May 14, 2006

What's it to You?!



Today is Mother’s Day. It’s a day to celebrate the person who brought us into this world. The woman who, for most of us, saw us through our infancy, our toddler-hood and those awkward school years. She put up with us through out teens and stood by us in our twenties as we tried to figure out who just who we are and what the heck we are doing. I know I owe a lot of who I am to my Mother. She gave to us selflessly and always sacrificed her needs for our wants. I am grateful to my Mother-in Law. She is the reason I have a husband who shows such compassion and respect.

As I sit here, I try to imagine what Mother’s Day will be like for me in 15 years. My kids will be 24, 22, and 20 then. I wonder if their kids will horde school made gifts in their backpacks until Sunday morning, so Mommy will be surprised as Lauren did for me this morning. I wonder if they will even have kids yet.

I woke this morning to the sound of my babies playing. I knew that there would be no gifts of jewelry or no meal out to celebrate unless it was something I did for myself. With Mike in Korea, it would be difficult for him to orchestrate such a thing. But those things don’t really appeal to me anyway. I love the little gifts the kids make themselves. They hold so much more meaning to me.

Last year for Mother’s Day, Mike got a new grill. Yes, you read that right, he got a grill. I didn’t get a tangible gift. But, I did have my children, and that is something not every woman can say. I know there are many women out there struggling just to be able to be Mothers. I know that the honor of being called Mom is not something to be taken lightly. And as a Mother, I know the job isn’t always easy. And the rewards are sometimes slow to come.

Today I was grateful for what I do have. I have three beautiful, healthy children. We are very fortunate for all the things we have. It is sometimes easy to lose sight of the simple things. When my children come up to me, and wrap their arms around me and tell me that they love me… that is the best gift ever. What more could a Mother want?

No comments: